10 May (starting 15:30) to 15 May (ending 12:30)
Equip your leaders with new mindsets and capabilities to thrive in a complex world
In a poll taken during the recent 2019 ICMIF Biennial Conference, only 3% of participants reported that they felt their organisations were able to reliably stay ahead of external changes. Respondents felt that the greatest barrier limiting members' ability to innovate was organisational culture, with the adage that “culture eats strategy for breakfast” being cited by several speakers.
For 20 years, managers from ICMIF member organisations from over 50 countries have praised ICMIF’s Advanced Management Course (AMC) for the ways in which the course helped them to enhance both their own performance and that of their organisation. In 2020, the focus of the AMC will be to make it easier for leaders and managers to increase their company’s organisational agility and therefore its ability to thrive in a complex world. Participants will acquire tools and frameworks, built on insights from behavioural economics, to transform the culture of how networks of teams make sense of evolving challenges and work together to drive the organisation to fulfil its aims and potential.
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at at senior managers and leaders of change from mutual or cooperative insurers who lead teams which are required to tackle complex situations, formulating strategies to achieve their organisation’s goals, and leading programmes that translate strategy into action.
Participants of the Advanced Management Course include a mix of technical insurance and non-technical people, reflecting the typical make-up of a mutual/cooperative insurer.
Participants must be comfortable holding strategic conversations in English.
Benefits of the course
Alumni of the Advanced Management Course report improved outcomes following their attendance on the course. Participants emerge with new approaches to help them maximise their impact in a complex world. In particular, they will learn how to overcome three critical challenges when tackling complex problems:
- People are not rational.
- Expertise is important, but no longer sufficient.
- Most of people’s behaviour is automatic.
Prior participants describe improved personal performance after the course when leading and managing in conditions of uncertainty and ambiguity by them applying the AMC’s mental models, conceptual frameworks and simple tools for:
- Strategic thinking.
- How to identify and approach complex situations.
- Human behaviour and behavioural change, including:
- Individual and group judgement.
- Effective collaboration.
- Decision making.
- Organisational culture and comparing how it differs across companies and between nations.
- Behavioural change.
Alumni of the Advanced Management Course report improved outcomes following their attendance on the course. Many describe it as “the fog clearing” as the models, frameworks and tools they have acquired during the course are put into use once they have returned to the workplace. What may have previously seemed like unrelated areas of leadership and management become a simple, integrated, mutually reinforcing approach to finding solutions to their challenges. In this way, prior participants have said they arrive with expertise and leave with wisdom.
What you will experience
The Advanced Management Course is highly interactive course, set over six days, featuring an original format which was designed to maximize the opportunities to work in groups in a very international environment with attendees from mutual/cooperative insurers around the world taking part. Alumni describe the course as relaxed, highly enjoyable and one that kept a smile on their faces throughout the various sessions. The majority of time will be spent taking part in individual and group exercises which will provide ample time to practice:
- Working as a team to address authentic complex situations by managing an insurance company within the AGILE insurance simulation.
- Using each of the tools and frameworks introduced during the course.
- Applying the behavioural change framework tool on participants’ individual live cases which will enable them to apply their learning to the changes they want to lead in their own workplace.
What makes the Advanced Management Course different to other courses?
- A unique opportunity to network with international peers from other mutual/cooperative insurers. By working with new friends from different organisational cultures, participants will develop a better understanding of themselves and their own situations.
- After two decades of refinement based on feedback from ICMIF’s members, this course is designed specifically for the needs of organisations like yours.
- Original content, tools and frameworks designed for the needs of ICMIF’s members, honed in the real world and based on insights from behavioural science.
- A purpose-built flow that enables participants to move several times a day from acquiring the theory to practising what they have learnt in the simulation, discussing issues with peers and making notes on how they will apply their learning in the future.
- The time and space for participants to practise applying learning to their own live case in a supportive environment where they can discuss issues with people who will understand and have the experience to provide valuable insights.