The membership fee is based on the gross premium income of the member in the financial year ended during the calendar year two years before the year for which fees are due. Membership fees are invoiced annually and are payable directly to ICMIF. For ICMIF members in the Americas region (North, Central and South America and the Caribbean) and in the Asia and Oceania region (excluding Japan), there is only one fee invoice combining the ICMIF headquarters and the regional association fees.
ICMIF: Full member (excluding the Americas)
- Fee rate: 20 per million gross written premium income
- Minimum fee: GBP 500
- Maximum fee: GBP 60,000
- Microinsurance rate: GBP 50
- Payable in: USD/EUR/GBP/JPY
Full membership carries voting and ownership rights.
ICMIF: Other membership categories
- Associate member fee: GBP 500
- Global supporting member fee: GBP 25,000
ICMIF members in the Americas region (combined fee)
- Fee rate: 30 per million gross written premium income
- Premium income below USD 5 million: USD 1,500
- Premium income between USD 5 million & USD 150 million: USD 4,500
- Maximum fee: USD 90,000
- Associate fee: USD 1,500
- Payable in: USD directly to ICMIF
ICMIF Members in Asia and Oceania region (AOA only fee)
- Fee rate: 2 per million gross written premium income
- Minimum fee: JPY 5,000
- Maximum fee: JPY 2,600,000
Payable in: Japanese members pay in JPY directly to AOA, other members pay directly to ICMIF in JPY/USD/GBP
Members in Africa and the Middle East do not have an active regional association representing them but instead tend to participate in the Development and Takaful global networks which are run by ICMIF.
European members were members of ICMIF’s European regional association ACME prior to 2008. ACME merged with AISAM in January 2008 and is now known as AMICE (the Association of Mutual Insurers and Insurance Cooperatives in Europe). European members can choose to be direct members of AMICE which is an autonomous association but still maintains a strong connection to ICMIF with many European mutuals and cooperatives being members of both ICMIF and AMICE.
The fee process
The ICMIF membership fee is calculated taking into account the following parameters:
- Fees are calculated based on the applying organisation’s gross written premium income (GWP) for the financial year ended in the penultimate year before fees are due (eg fees for 2020 are based on financial year ended in 2018).
- Fees are calculated on the member’s GWP in appropriate local currency multiplied by the fee rate (currently 20 per million or 30 per million for the Americas region). ICMIF will work with the prospective member to ensure that the calculation of fees is correct.