Manchester, UK, 23 April 2018: Today sees the opening of the International Cooperative and Mutual Insurance Federation (ICMIF) Meeting of Reinsurance Officials (MORO) in Montreal, Canada. The MORO Conference takes place 23-25 April and this year’s theme is Reinsuring the mutual way.
This year’s MORO has attracted elite leaders from the global reinsurance industry and is the cooperative and mutual insurance sector’s only global reinsurance conference. The conference is an opportunity for mutuals and cooperatives to share reinsurance knowledge and discuss issues of common interest in a collaborative and supportive environment. This year’s event has a total of 30 speakers from 22 organisations, many of which are ICMIF member companies.
The event will feature speakers from global organisations including Willis Re, A.M. Best, Berkley Re, Swiss Re, DLA Piper and CyberScout. A number of prominent Canadian companies will also be included in the agenda with speakers participating from ICMIF members The Co-operators, CURIE, Farm Mutual Re and Desjardins General Insurance Group. Also appearing will the Argentinian Deputy National Insurance Superintendent, Guillermo Plate, who joins a panel today discussing the political, economic and regulatory issues affecting the global reinsurance market.
This year’s keynote presentation, “Global change and catastrophic loss”, will be given by Glenn McGillivray, Managing Director, Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction (Canada). In his presentation on Tuesday 24 April, McGillivray, will speak about the increasing challenges in managing risks associated with severe weather and seismic events. He will discuss how severe weather losses are rising across Canada and around the world and what can be expected through the next decade in terms of disaster loss claims and prevention. He will end with a discussion on ICLR’s work and its efforts to help insurers and others mitigate the impact of severe weather and earthquake events.
The 2018 MORO will bring together 90 reinsurance delegates from 49 companies in 18 countries in Montreal to learn from and to do business with each other. The biennial MORO conference combines world-class speaker presentations, panel sessions, networking and the opportunity to write reinsurance business.
ICMIF Vice Present, Reinsurance, Mike Ashurst, commented: “We are thrilled to bring our global MORO Conference to Montreal and we look forward to meeting mutuals and cooperatives from the Canadian insurance sector.”
For more information or to arrange interviews, please contact:
- Liz Green, Senior Vice-President, External Relations, ICMIF, firstname.lastname@example.org +44 7793 264 220
- Alison Grant, Communications Manager, ICMIF email@example.com +44 161 952 5078
About the mutual and cooperative insurance sector
- The mutual sector holds 26.8% of global insurance market share by premium.
- Premium income was 1.3 trillion USD in 2016
- In 2016 the sector’s assets were USD 8.3 trillion
- Employment in the sector accounts for more than 1.13 million jobs
- Over 990 million people are served as member/policyholders by mutual/cooperative insurers
About ICMIF (see www.icmif.org)
- With its global headquarters in the United Kingdom and regional offices in Washington DC, USA; and Tokyo, Japan, today ICMIF represents 216 values-based insurers in 67 countries.
- ICMIF delivers unique networking opportunities, market and member intelligence and external relations services. It takes a strong lead in encouraging best practice amongst its member firms in key insurance issues, including; performance management, legal and governance, marketing, brand and reputation, reinsurance and social and environmental performance.
- ICMIF is active in the microinsurance and Takaful sectors, with Takaful providing Shariah-compliant risk amelioration products to Islamic markets
Follow ICMIF on Twitter at @ICMIF_Web
Follow ICMIF on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/company/icmif/