Manchester, UK, 8 October 2019 – This year marks the 40th anniversary of ICMIF/Americas, the Americas' regional association of the International Cooperative and Mutual Insurance Federation (ICMIF). Founded in 1979 by ICMIF with 11 member organizations in three countries, today, ICMIF/Americas represents 61 member organizations in 19 countries throughout North, Central and South America and the Caribbean.
To celebrate the 40th year of the association, ICMIF/Americas has today published exclusive new data on the performance of the Americas region in an infographic which showcases the solidarity and collaboration of its member organizations there. Collectively, ICMIF/Americas members represent USD 40 billion in insurance premiums and hold USD 267 billion in total assets (2017 figures). ICMIF/Americas member organizations employ a total of 47,000 people and serve 58 million members/policyholders across the region.
Last month, over 150 leaders from ICMIF/Americas member organizations gathered in Mendoza (Argentina) for the 2019 ICMIF/Americas Annual Conference, hosted by the Argentinean Association of Cooperative and Mutual Insurers (AACMS) and the Association of Insurers of the Interior of the Argentine Republic (ADIRA).
The theme of the conference was Collaborating and Innovating for the Digital Age and focused on the ways in which cooperative and mutual insurers are embedding innovation and agility into their businesses and thereby harnessing the power of collaboration in order to thrive in the fast-changing, digital age.
The agenda featured keynote presentations from Ariel Guarco, President of the International Cooperative Alliance (ICA) and Hilde Vernaillen, Chair of ICMIF and CEO at ICMIF member organisation P&V (Belgium), as well as more than 30 speakers from member organizations. Delegates listened to best-practice presentations on digital transformation and innovation, values-based strategies, emerging ecosystems, new product design and underwriting practices, cultural change, sustainability and leveraging collaboration opportunities.
For the first time, the 2019 ICMIF/Americas Annual Conference also featured a Young Leaders Program, designed specifically for young employees at member companies. In total, 15 Young Leaders participated in the Mendoza event, providing them with a unique professional development and personal growth opportunity.
Notes to editors
For more information or photos please contact Alison Grant, Communications Manager, ICMIF email@example.com
About the global mutual and cooperative insurance sector
- The mutual sector holds 26.7% of global insurance market share by premium.
- Premium income was USD 1.3 trillion in 2017
- In 2017 the sector’s assets were USD 8.9 trillion
- Employment in the sector accounts for more than 1.16 million jobs
- Over 922 million people are served as member/policyholders by mutual/cooperative insurers
About ICMIF (see www.icmif.org)
• With its global headquarters in the United Kingdom and regional offices in the USA and Japan, today ICMIF represents 197 values-based insurers in 66 countries with over USD 232 billion in premium income and USD 1.7 trillion in total assets held.
• ICMIF delivers unique networking opportunities, market and member intelligence and external relations services. It takes a strong lead in encouraging best practice amongst its member firms in key insurance issues, including; performance management, legal and governance, marketing, brand and reputation, reinsurance and social and environmental performance.
• ICMIF is active in the microinsurance sector and in particular the ICMIF 5-5-5 Mutual Microinsurance Strategy. The 5-5-5 Strategy is a five-year project based in five emerging market countries which aims to provide five million households with insurance cover for the first time to take them out of poverty and build resilience in poor communities.
• ICMIF is also involved in the Takaful sectors
• Follow ICMIF on Twitter at @ICMIF_Web
• Follow ICMIF on LinkedIn at: www.linkedin.com/company/icmif