The Farm Safety Foundation
The Farm Safety Foundation was established by NFU Mutual in 2014 to raise awareness of farm safety among the next generation of farmers aged 16- 40. The Foundation set out to reduce the number of life changing and life ending accidents that had continued to give farming the poorest safety record of any occupation in the UK. The Foundation works closely with partners in the industry to engage, educate and communicate strong and relatable farm safety messages.
Through award-winning national campaigns such as Farm Safety Week and Mind Your Head, the Foundation is preserving and protecting the physical and mental wellbeing of the next generation of farmers, ensuring that those making their journey into agriculture are equipped with smart strategies and specific skills to live well and farm well. Among the initiatives of the Farm Safety Foundation are:
- New Farm Safe session for young farmers clubs developed and delivered to 3,627 additional young farmers in 205 clubs;
- Pioneering virtual reality farm safety training session introduced in 2020;
- With educational establishments closed during national lockdowns, the Foundation used a web-based platform to adapt this virtual reality training and deliver the Introduction to Farm Safety sessions by webinar to 29 land-based colleges/universities and 1,400 agricultural students across the UK;
- New Introduction to Mental Health in Farming session developed and delivered to 1,411 participants in agricultural business across the UK; and
- Delivered Coping with the Stress of COVID19 mental wellbeing campaign as part of the NFU Mutual customer support package.
NFU Risk Management Services Ltd.
As a wholly owned subsidiary of NFU Mutual Insurance, NFU Mutual Risk Management Services provides technical advice and guidance to farmers. In recent years, the business employs over 80 home-based surveyors and sales personnel located throughout the UK. Safety reviews conducted by NFU Risk Management Services will help farmers identify ways to improve safety and keep workers safe, thereby reducing deaths and injuries due to accidents as well as reducing emotional and financial costs.