AM Best Company is the oldest and most widely recognized rating agency dedicated to the insurance industry with over 3,500 ratings in more than 90 countries worldwide.
AM Best currently rates more than 300 mutuals, and other types of companies that are not shareholder owned, including fraternal benefit societies, reciprocals, protection and indemnity clubs and not-for-profit insurers.
Unlike other rating agencies that may focus only on mutual insurers of a certain size, AM Best provides ratings to mutuals of many different sizes, giving our analytical team a deeper knowledge of the sector.
Our strengths include…
- Only international rating agency dedicated to the insurance industry
- World’s leading provider of insurer Financial Strength Ratings (FSRs) by company coverage
- Foremost rating coverage of the global reinsurance segment
- Leading position in international (re)insurance hubs—including comprehensive coverage of Lloyd’s/London market, Bermuda, Zurich, Singapore
- Leading rating agency for ART and captives coverage
- Key rating agency used by global broker security teams
- Data and research covering 16,000 (re)insurance companies worldwide, including mutuals and cooperatives
- Largest and most comprehensive insurance database providing unique insights by segment and line of business
- Published rating methodology on all key insurance industry segments
Click here for more information about Best’s ratings.
Our rating process involves a comprehensive quantitative and qualitative analysis of a company’s balance sheet strength, operating performance and business profile. This includes comparisons to peers and industry standards as well as assessments of operating plans, philosophy and management. A rating by AM Best is based on a comprehensive evaluation of an insurance company’s financial strength, operating performance and business profile. AM Best also regularly publishes Impairment Studies, which evaluate rating performance over time.
The complete components of AM Best’s Credit Rating Methodology (BCRM) can also be viewed here.
Industry research & news
We are also publishers of frequent specialised reports on global insurance industry issues, including sector, company and geographic regional analysis. Extensive global insurance news delivery and resources.
Register for new episodes of AM Best TV here.
Specific event episodes of AM Best TV can be accessed using the following links:
- ICMIF 2017
- APCIA 2019
- AM Best IMB – Europe 2017
- Rendez Vous De Septembre 2019
- VCIA 2019
- RIMS 2018
- MORO 2018
- IIS 2019
- NAMIC 2019
- Asia CEO Insurance Summit 2018
Or watch our analytics series, industry conferences, interviews and all episodes here.
Follow us on Twitter at:
Awards and recognitions:
- Winner of 20 international “Best Rating Agency” accolades from 2009 to 2019