The 2023 ICMIF Meeting of Reinsurance Officials (MORO) will take place from Tuesday 6 to Thursday 8 June 2023 and will be hosted by ICMIF member EMC Insurance Companies at its headquarters in Des Moines, Iowa (United States). We have some exciting topics lined up for our agenda which can be found below or on the website. We are also finalising arrangements for some amazing speakers whose details will be confirmed in the coming weeks.
The reinsurance market has just faced one of the most difficult, frustrating and complex renewals in recent history, with significant price increases and changes in terms and conditions across many lines and territories. Inflation, the war in Ukraine and climate change risks have all contributed to such a difficult renewal. With this backdrop, it is more vital than ever for ICMIF member organisations to support each other, and the MORO provides a perfect opportunity to do this.
What is MORO?
MORO stands for Meeting of Reinsurance Officials and is a unique, global gathering of reinsurance professionals from the mutual and cooperative sector that meets every two years.
The MORO 2023 agenda will include the following topics/sessions:
Mini Monte Carlo
- An opportunity for delegates to meet with each other for reinsurance discussions on a one-to-one basis in 30-minute meeting time slots.
Current state of the reinsurance market
- This high-level panel will examine the latest hot topics in the reinsurance market and the factors behind the recent challenging reinsurance renewals.
ESG and resilience in (re)insurance
- This session will explore how mutual insurers can leverage the latest research and technology to foster resilient communities and promote sustainable claims practices, including how to handle catastrophic events and build back better.
Climate, claims and catastrophe modelling
- This session will share insights on the ways in which climate change is increasing the frequency and severity of natural disasters, and how this is affecting the (re)insurance industry. It will include latest updates in catastrophe modelling, as well as the emerging threat of secondary perils.
Emerging risks in (re)insurance
- This session will examine emerging risks in the insurance and reinsurance industry. Thought leaders will discuss the challenges and opportunities associated with new and emerging risks, and share insights on how mutual insurers can adapt to remain relevant and competitive.
- This panel will explore the latest trends in cybersecurity and cyber insurance and will include case studies of how mutual insurers can work with partners to provide cyber protection for their members.
Innovation and insurtech
- This session will include insights and case studies on how technology is transforming the insurance landscape and creating new business models for insurers to engage with customers and manage risk more effectively.
Why should members attend MORO 2023?
The MORO is an outstanding opportunity to share reinsurance knowledge and discuss issues of common interest with peers from ICMIF member organisations around the world in a collaborative and supportive environment. The three-day event includes high level presentations, discussion panels, breakout sessions and one-to-one meetings, with a unique focus on how reinsurance issues affect mutual and cooperative insurers. As usual, the MORO will start with a look at the current state of the reinsurance market, which, given the last renewal period, will take on even greater significance than usual and provide all members with an opportunity to voice their opinion.
MORO is an unrivalled gathering of reinsurance professionals from the cooperative and mutual sector and is widely acknowledged by delegates as the ideal opportunity for ICMIF members to learn, share information, build relationships and do business with each other.
The last MORO took place in Wiesbaden (Germany) in May 2022, where 72 reinsurance leaders from 36 companies in 19 countries gathered to learn from and to do business with each other. Contact Mike Ashurst, Vice-President, Reinsurance and Professional Development, to request access to the recordings and presentations slides from each session of MORO 2022.
Registration is open now. Members are invited to register here to secure their place.