The International Cooperative and Mutual Insurance Federation (ICMIF) has established a new bursary award of EUR 10,000 for the most promising young scholar (under 35 years of age) in the field of mutual and cooperative insurance. This is in conjunction with the forthcoming Mutual Insurance Conference (MIC) organised by the Mutual Research Network and taking place in Rome on Monday 24 October 2022, the day before the start of the ICMIF Centenary Conference, also in Rome, which takes place from 25 to 28 October.
As the world’s only global network from cooperative and mutual insurers, ICMIF’s aim is to encourage young scholars to get involved in studying how mutuality is a strategic enabler and true authenticator of a purpose-led insurer.
The winner will be chosen from submissions from young scholars in response to the MIC call for papers (see below), or optionally a recently published scientific article (2020-2022), a research plan of their PhD thesis, or a research project plan that relates to cooperative and mutual insurers.
About the call for papers
For the first time in its’ history, the Mutual Insurance Conference (MIC) has opened a call for scientific conference papers. From these papers, two to three will be chosen to be presented in the MIC conference in Rome on Monday 24 October 2022. In the presentation, scholars should give emphasis to presenting the most interesting results with a specific focus on the managerial and practical takeaways.
All the submitted papers will be further taken into considerations for a Special Issue in one of the most prominent and oldest Italian scientific economics / business journals Rivista Bancaria, Minerva Bancaria. The Special Issue will be guest edited by Professor Jakša Krišto, PhD.
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Leading insurance with purpose
- Role of purpose-led insurance in times of crises
- Role of mutual and cooperative banks in contemporary society
- InsurTech, FinTech and mutual insurance
- Blockchains, tokenisation, decentralised autonomous organisations (DAOs) and mutuality
- Data ownership and implications of the company form
- Challenges in mutual and cooperative banking: cases of different countries
- Cooperation between mutual and cooperative banks and insurers
- ESG challenges in mutual and cooperative banking and insurance industry
- Climate change and mutual and cooperative insurance industry
- Financial inclusion and regional financial intermediation
- Mutual and cooperative banks and insurers in post COVID-19 world
- Global geopolitical setup and mutual and cooperative banks and insurers
- Prospects of credit unions
- Millennials’ views and preferences over mutual and cooperative banks and insurers
- “Social glue” and common bond principle in modern financial system
- Profitability and financial stability: mutuals/cooperative vs. stock-owned banks and insurers Management issues in mutual and cooperative banks/insurers
- Regulatory challenges for mutual and cooperative financial institutions
- Marketing and the cooperative culture
Submissions and enquiries should be sent to Professor Jakša Krišto, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadlines are as follows:
- Abstract submission deadline: 1 September 2022
- Abstract notification: 15 days from submission
- Final paper submission deadline for the MIC Conference: 1 October 2022
- Final paper submission deadline for the Special Issue Rivista Bancaria, Minerva Bancaria will be 1 March 2023.
- Accepted paper will be published immediately online for the Special Issue Rivista Bancaria, Minerva Bancaria
The ICMIF Young Scholar Award of EUR 10,000 will be a personal reward for the scholar!
A special invitation for mutual academics and scholars to attend ICMIF Centenary Conference for half price
This October, the Mutual Insurance Conference (MIC), organised by the Mutual Research Network, will take place in Rome at the campus of the Luiss University on Monday 24 October.
The International Cooperative and Mutual Insurance Federation (ICMIF) is a strategic partner of the Mutual Research Network and is keen to bring academics interested in the mutual and cooperative insurance sector together to join the current leaders, and also the leaders of the future, of our member organisations.
The MIC is being held the day before, (Monday 24 October) the ICMIF Centenary Conference which runs from Tuesday 25 to Friday 28 October 2022, also in Rome.
The ICMIF Centenary Conference will be a conference that stimulates original ideas for better business performance; that offers clear insights into the trends that are shaping the future of our industry; that provides a full and clear understanding of the powerful role that our sector too can play in redesigning insurance. You can view the delegate list from previous conferences here.
The first group of confirmed speakers is now available to view on the agenda page of the Conference website. Highlights of the ICMIF Centenary Conference include:
- The largest global gathering of our sector offers unrivalled peer-to-peer networking
- Inspiring leaders from our sector feature in insightful and provocative panel sessions
- Globally renowned speakers deliver pertinent, informative presentations
ICMIF is pleased to offer a special price of 50% off the standard delegate rate to academic scholars.
Please visit the website for more information and to register now.